Manchester City, Arsenal and Newcastle have all been named amongst the top ten of the 2022 sport club owners rich list, but new Chelsea owner Todd Boehly fails to make the top 50.
There is some serious money involved in the world of sport, with the Premier League becoming an attractive prospect for the mega rich as another wealthy sports owner enters the English top flight.
American businessman Boehly is now the de facto owner of Chelsea after the consortium he led gained Premier League approval and the Government issued a licence allowing the sale to proceed, in a deal worth £4.25billion.
It follows Newcastle, who were taken over in October last year by a consortium backed by Mohammad Bin Salman – the crown prince of Saudi Arabia who is worth a staggering £13.6bn.
However, the incredible wealth of the Premier League’s richest club owners is small fry compared to some of the financial big wigs across the sporting world.
Research carried out by OLBG has revealed the 2022 sport club owners rich list, with Bin Salman ranking in tenth place.
Boehly’s estimated net worth of £3.5bn is only enough to put him 53rd on the global scale and almost £14bn less than Man City supremo Sheikh Mansour, the richest owner in the English top flight.
Chelsea advised to re-sign defender who ‘man-marked Salah out of a game’
Top ten richest sports club owners in the world:
1. Steve Ballmer – £72.8 billion
American Ballmer ranks No.1, and is the owner of NBA team LA Clippers. He was previously the CEO of Microsoft, before buying the Clippers in 2014 for what was a record-breaking fee of $2bn.
2. Mukesh Ambani – £72bn
Ambani is second in the list. The 65-year-old, who is owner of cricket’s Indian Premier League side Mumbai Indians, has a net worth an astonishing $94.7bn.
3. Carlos Slim – £61.5bn
In third place is Slim – the richest owner of a football club. He owns Real Oviedo who ply their trade in the Spanish Segunda division. He is worth $80.9bn, and is also the richest man in Mexico.
4. David Thomson – £38.4bn
Thomson comes in at fourth in the rankings. He is the owner of NHL side Winnipeg Jets, and Manitoba Moose who compete in the AHL.
5. Francois Pinault – £33bn
Pinault is the owner of French football club Rennes who play in France’s Ligue 1. His net worth stands at $43.5bn, so the question is, why do Paris Saint-Germain runaway with the league almost every year?
6. Dietrich Mateschitz – £21.6bn
The Red Bull group have been around for the last ten years, and have emerged in Formula 1 and football. RB Leipzig is the biggest of the football clubs and compete in the Champions League. Red Bull F1 team are arguably the best team in motor racing, with Max Verstappen beating Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton to the World Championship in December.
7. Sheikh Mansour – £17.4bn
Mansour has revolutionised English football, and is worth an estimated $22.9bn. The Deputy Prime Minister of the UAE isn’t just the owner of Manchester City, but also Melbourne City and Mumbai City FC.
8. Daniel Gilbert – £16.4bn
Gilbert is the owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team and is worth $21.6bn.
9. Ann and Stanley Kroenke – £15bn
Kroenke along with his wife, Ann, are the owners of Premier League side Arsenal and rank ninth. As well as the Gunners, they also own the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams, NBA’s Denver Nuggets, NHL’s Colorado Avalanche along with MLS outfit Colorado Rapids. Their net worth is $19.8bn.
10. Mohammad bin Salman – £13.6bn
The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia sits in tenth place. Following in the footsteps of Mansour to the Premier League, he acquired Newcastle last October.
Other Premier League owners:
Liverpool owner John W. Henry has a net worth of over £2.7bn, which puts him in position 67 on the global scale.
The Glazer Family, owners of Manchester United as well as NFL franchise Tampa Bay Buccaneers, have a worth of around £2.6bn, which is the 70th highest in the world.
But Naseef Sawiris, owner of Aston Villa, is the richest Premier League club owner outside the top ten with a net worth of over $6bn – which is the 25th highest in the world.
Top 10 richest owners and their sports clubs
- Steve Ballmer – Los Angeles Clippers (Basketball, NBA) £72,805,014,315
- Mukesh Ambani – Mumbai Indians (Cricket, Indian Premier League) £72,044,251,365
- Carlos Slim – Real Oviedo (Football, Segunda Division) £61,545,722,655
- David Thomson – Winnipeg Jets (Ice Hockey, NHL), Manitoba Moose (Ice Hockey, AHL) £38,418,528,975
- François Pinault & family – Stade Rennais FC (Football, Ligue 1) £33,093,188,325
- Dietrich Mateschitz – New York Red Bulls (Football, MLS), Red Bull Racing (Formula One), FC Red Bull Salzburg Football (Austrian Bundesliga), RB Leipzig (Football, Bundesliga) £21,681,744,075
- Sheikh Mansour – Manchester City (Football, Premier League), Melbourne City FC (Football, Australia), New York City FC (Football, MLS), Mumbai City FC (Football, Indian Super League) – £17,421,471,555
- Daniel Gilbert – Cleveland Cavaliers (Basketball, NBA) £16,417,264,461
- Ann and Stanley Kroenke – Arsenal FC (Football, Premier League), Los Angeles Rams (American Football, NFL), Denver Nuggets (Basketball, NBA), Colorado Avalanche (Ice Hockey, NHL), Colorado Rapids (Football, MLS) – £15,063,106,410
- Mohammed bin Salman – Newcastle United (Football, Premier League) – £13,693,733,100
Betting Offers Of The Weekend
Bet Of The Day: Sky Bet – Salah & Benzema 2+ shots on target each, 2+ corners each team in each half & 20+ booking pts each team (90 mins only) @ 80/1 – BET HERE
New Customer Sign Up Offer: 888Sport – Get 10/1 Liverpool to win OR 20/1 Real Madrid to win (£5 max bet)* – CLAIM HERE
New customers only. Min deposit £10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.5) • Free Bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expires after 7 days • Free Bet stakes not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days • To withdraw bonus/related wins, wager bonus amount x40 within 14 days • Casino bonus expires after 60 days • Withdrawal restrictions & full T&Cs apply 18+ begambleaware.org
18+ T&Cs Apply. Begambleaware.org